Saturday, 29 November 2014

Christmas/Yule mini album...

A quick post to share a mini album I have made.
It has an eclectic vintage feel to it with lots of pockets and tags which are not shown here as it would need WAY too many photos. But you get the gist.
And because I wanted to take part in Paula's December challenge, (You can find that by clicking HERE) I have used the colour blue on some of the pages.
Here they are...
It is my first "made from scratch" proper mini album but it wont be my last. I found this really soothing to make. It didn't need much thought nor did it need many paints or mediums. Just lots of cutting and gluing and a TON of frosty decoart glitter.
have a lovely safe Winter Holiday season, whatever your beliefs.
best wishes
Z x

Monday, 13 October 2014

Katzelkraft DT post: Egyptian shrine.

Hi folks.
Very happy to be back using Katzelkraft stamps in my altered art and mixed media as part of their design team. its been 2 or 3 years since I was last in the team.
those of you who know me, would have been able to guess which stamp set I would start with. and it was a 50:50 between the Egypt set or the Da Vince stamps.
this time around Egypt won the day. You will find them HERE:

I used a fair few DecoArt paints and mediums on it. crackle medium, fluid acrylics, gesso, decoupage medium and metallic lustres. and the little shrine is a "Calico Craft Parts" Shrine.
All Stamps are from Katzelkraft who are a French company (with very very reasonable shipping cost  throughout Europe).

And just as a little journey back in time, here are some of the things I made in the past using the stamps.

Wednesday, 1 October 2014

DecoArt Mixed Media Haunts Challenge...

Join the DecoArt Mixed Media Design Team in a spooky Halloween challenge from October 1st through the 28th! Have a peek at our talented designer's projects below and be on the look out for their full tutorials on the DecoArt Media Facebook throughout the Mixed Media Haunts Challenge!

Feeling inspired? Create your very own spooktacular piece and submit it below through the Inlinkz link at the bottom of our Design Team project photos. Entries will be accepted until October 28th at 11:55pm.

On October 29th, Andy Skinner will choose his two favorite pieces. The runner-up will receive $50 worth of DecoArt Media product and the grand prize winner will receive $100 worth of DecoArt Media goodies!

Here is my project...
My friends daughter gave me a commission. she asked if I could make her a "thing" (she drew a rectangle in the air so i guessed she meant a sign or plaque) to hang on her bedroom door for Halloween. She asked me to make it scary...
"Could you make it all scary and creepy?"
Strangely, her mum was less than enthusiastic about that as she is only 6 and a half. Her instructions were, on no accounts, make it scary.
hmmm.... So i had to please a little girl who wants a scary creepy plaque for her door and a mum who doesnt want her little girl having nightmares.
So here it is. its a bit of a boggy old graveyard with creepy crawly insects and bats but no ghosts, zombies or monsters (although zombies did come up as one of her preferences).
Hopefully its scary enough but fun enough at the same time.
And for my DecoArt friends, here is a basic tutorial on how the plaque was made.
I painted the plaque black and when it was dry i painted a few patches with crackle medium (weathered wood). I didnt do it all over as i wanted the cracking to be random.
When the crackle medium was tacky enough to be painted over, I painted over the top with media fluid acrylics in shades of green. you can see the selection in the image. i let it start to crack and then i sped up the drying process with the heat gun. I let it bubble up the paint in places as it adds texture (handy for one of my final steps)
I set it aside to dry properly while i prepared some fabric leaves and chipboard grave stone crosses by coating them in crackle paint. i had tinted some for another project and had some left ove so it looks a bit pink here but it doesnt have to be tinted. i just didnt want to waste the excess i had.
set these aside to dry.
When they were dry i used my media misters on them using shades of green teal and purple.

I printed off and cut out a couple of pumpkins. using decoupage medium I stuck them to card and let them dry.
I cut the pumpkins out and give them a coat of crackle glaze. allow to dry. and then use some burnt umber paint (or any shade you prefer) to stain the cracks. simply paint over the glaze, wait a few seconds then gently clean off with a damp cloth. the paint will stay in the cracks but come off of the surface.
Make some spirals from wire, prepare your embellishments (I used pain on some calico Craft Parts bats, webs spiders and insects) and now assemble your parts...
Tear out a rough oval of scrap paper and place over the centre of the image. then use a spray mister around the edges.
Allow to dry and paint on a moon. Because of the bubbles created when heat drying the paint, my moon has texture and craters.
Next i painted some large chipboard letters and treated them in the same way as the pumpkin images with crackle glaze and brown paint.

glue everything into place. there you have it.

Black luxury. An altered bottle for Art Daily Cafe

  The theme over on Art Daily Cafe this month is “Black luxury” so I have altered this big bottle using mostly black gesso and jet jewel pa...