Saturday, 25 July 2015

Calico Craft Parts day for me...

Hi there folks.
I have a post over on Calico Craft Parts today. it celebrates the possible chance of life on the newly discovered earth like planet Kepler 452b (lol) ... you can find it by clicking HERE.
all comments are gratefully received. lets the boss know we are doing our job properly.

Z x

Thursday, 16 July 2015

Work in progress reaches completion (maybe): with DecoArt

So a few days ago I showed you a pretty large canvas i had started while sitting in my friends back yard chatting and getting my back burned to a cinder in the sun....
neither of us had a clue what we were going to make, we just picked up some brushes and paints and sort of just "started"... I was using DecoArt media fluid acrylics. They have a wonderful high percentage of pure pigment so far less likely to get that muddy look mixed paints can get. i started by painting a line of cobalt blue to the top and adding water so it would run down the canvas. then i turned my canvas upside down and did the same withe green. i then built up colours in the same way, with a lot of water.
I think the sun put me in a rather dreamy frame of mind and I went uncharacteristically floral and pastel.  but at one point, I went a step tp far and it went from quite attractive to a bit of a mess. I dont have photos of the mess as i persevered for a little bit and rescued it. though it is far from its original soft dusky colour palette.
I had my Stampendous mixed media stamps and stencils with me so i used some DecoArt texture sand paste through the "sequin waste" stencil and formed my tall flowers (they represent a cross between lupins and delphiniums lol) but then time caught up and it was time to pack up.

anywho, I brought it home (here it is with my cat scrutinising it)...

...and tried to keep going with it as i am bad for just "giving up" and tossing projects to one side if they dont go well in the first hour lol.
here it is with a little additional detail.
It was at this point I blogged it and facebooked it and asked what folks thought i could put as the main focus.
Various opinions were put forward. some thinking it should be left as is as it didnt need a focal point.
My friend, Astrid, came over to my place on Monday and instantly put her hand in the area that i felt needed the focal point and she too said that there needed to be one and it needed to be in that area. so, as that had been my gut feeling too, i set about adding some focus with a "foreground presence", to stand out fro the soft hazy background.
I added a large dragonfly. then decided to add two more (as it somehow felt like the right thing to do).


I used Decoart "interference" acrylics on the dragonfly wings. its so hard to show you this in a photo, but tilting it to the light can show the wonderful lustre of the interference, and tilting it back shows just the original painting. the interference had a beautiful blue colour and a green colour that both seemed to be very "insect" appropriate. I have tried to get a photo but its not doing the lustre effect any justice at all. it is more like a Lalique piece of glass in real life. very effective for a dragonfly.

So I think its finished now. maybe. no doubt i will pick it up a few more times and dabble.
Z x
#decoart