Saturday, 28 June 2014

Work in progress reaches completion (maybe): with DecoArt

So a few days ago I showed you a pretty large canvas i had started while sitting in my friends back yard chatting and getting my back burned to a cinder in the sun....
neither of us had a clue what we were going to make, we just picked up some brushes and paints and sort of just "started"... I was using DecoArt media fluid acrylics. They have a wonderful high percentage of pure pigment so far less likely to get that muddy look mixed paints can get. i started by painting a line of cobalt blue to the top and adding water so it would run down the canvas. then i turned my canvas upside down and did the same withe green. i then built up colours in the same way, with a lot of water.
I think the sun put me in a rather dreamy frame of mind and I went uncharacteristically floral and pastel.  but at one point, I went a step tp far and it went from quite attractive to a bit of a mess. I dont have photos of the mess as i persevered for a little bit and rescued it. though it is far from its original soft dusky colour palette.
I had my Stampendous mixed media stamps and stencils with me so i used some DecoArt texture sand paste through the "sequin waste" stencil and formed my tall flowers (they represent a cross between lupins and delphiniums lol) but then time caught up and it was time to pack up.

anywho, I brought it home (here it is with my cat scrutinising it)...

...and tried to keep going with it as i am bad for just "giving up" and tossing projects to one side if they dont go well in the first hour lol.
here it is with a little additional detail.
It was at this point I blogged it and facebooked it and asked what folks thought i could put as the main focus.
Various opinions were put forward. some thinking it should be left as is as it didnt need a focal point.
My friend, Astrid, came over to my place on Monday and instantly put her hand in the area that i felt needed the focal point and she too said that there needed to be one and it needed to be in that area. so, as that had been my gut feeling too, i set about adding some focus with a "foreground presence", to stand out fro the soft hazy background.
I added a large dragonfly. then decided to add two more (as it somehow felt like the right thing to do).


I used Decoart "interference" acrylics on the dragonfly wings. its so hard to show you this in a photo, but tilting it to the light can show the wonderful lustre of the interference, and tilting it back shows just the original painting. the interference had a beautiful blue colour and a green colour that both seemed to be very "insect" appropriate. I have tried to get a photo but its not doing the lustre effect any justice at all. it is more like a Lalique piece of glass in real life. very effective for a dragonfly.

So I think its finished now. maybe. no doubt i will pick it up a few more times and dabble.
Z x
#decoart

Tuesday, 24 June 2014

Stampendous/DecoArt Blog hop post 1


I'm in a mixed media frenzy: Stampendous and DecoArt have come together to do a fantastic blog hop full of mixed media loveliness.
We have been using an amazing range of paints and mediums from DecoArt along with the wonderful  "Studio Multi Media" cling rubber stamp packs, Fran-tage embossing powders and Elements and the Creative Palette from Stampendous.
When the supplies arrived with me, I immediately watched the cool youtube video Stampendos have provided on how to use the "Creative Palette".

   
Next step was to try it out and make some backgrounds of my own.... 
I set some aside for future projects and then set about using one to make my first ever journal page.
I had been watching the video of Prof Wangari Maathai (she won the nobel peace prize in 2004)  telling the story of the little hummingbird. And I was inspired by it. My page was made to remind me of that inspiration and to remind me that I can only try my best and that must be enough.it may be insignificant but it is important to try. Imagine if we all put our minds to the same problem and did our best!!!!
 I selected one of my backgrounds and decorated it further with more of the stamps and stencils, using more acrylic paints. I hand painted on some grass and plant life then printed off a hummingbird image. I used more paints and some pastels to highlight the hummingbird then printed off my quote and glued it on too. I coated the whole page with DecoArt multi-purpose sealer.  

And for your interest, here is the youtube link to the story...
 

Wednesday, 18 June 2014

Simple altered chest box: for a commission.


Well it is not super clever or different or informative; but as I have not blogged much in the last few weeks (lots to come next week though) then I thought I would share this anyway.
It was made using
DecoArt Chalky Finish paints,
DecoArt napkin Decou-page glue,
DecoArt One-step crackle
Decoart americana acrylics.
Some treasure gold
And a single napkin.