Wednesday, 26 February 2014

Rusty corrugated card assemblage ...

I had a bit of "me time" in the craft room today. this means I am not creating for design teams or  magazines etc ... so it was creating for fun. And my new Tim Holtz "cabinet cards" and "Found Relatives" arrived so i decided to make an assemblage style hanging. I also added two of my favourite craft looks; Rust and corrugated card. ....

It was simply assembled using the card,  an old hard book cover, paint (a lot of quinacridone gold and transparent red iron oxide with a touch of Indian turquoise), book pages and a selection of rusty bits picked up off of a junk yard floor.


Wednesday, 19 February 2014

The "Alice jar" ....

I decided to try and alter an old coffee jar. I had this old Kenco coffee jar from 7 years ago when i used to drink instant coffee... it has been used for storing pasta or something. so i gave it a makeover.
I started by coating the whole thing in a layer of PVA glue and torn book pages. this gave a good base for paints and mediums etc.
I put some random areas of texture paste on it then when that was dry i added paint in green and aqua tones. I stamped out my Alice themed stamps and cut them out. I tinted them with watercolour pencils and stuck them in to place. then i added details with more paints ... i let everything dry and gave it a coat of multi-purpose sealer followed by a coat of one step crackle.
I used Quinacridone gold to give a rusted and aged look and let it get in to the cracks of the crackle glaze (cleaning off the extra with a damp cloth. (remember a damp cloth will do the same job as a baby wipe but you can use it over and over again without adding more waste to the planet).

I went over all the raised sections with treasure gold gilt wax and then i added some fabric and lace (stained with paints) and lots of lovely rusty wire that i dangled some charms from...
for the lid I also included some lovely green moss, a few red rose heads and a very cute toadstool.


Paint used:
Decoart Traditions:
Quinacridone gold
Blue green light
aquamarine
sap green
Quinacridone Gold
Decoart acrylic:
Indian turquoise
Calico red
lamp black
titanium white

Wednesday, 12 February 2014

12 tags of 2014 February.. only its a card...

I have decided to join in the challenge over on Sir Tim Holtz blog for the 12 tags of 2014 February tag.
I have heard a few people say they dont join in because they dont have "all the stuff" but i think its quite clear that Tim's tag is for "inspiration" and not intended as an exact template to be followed. there are many elements on the tags he makes and you can be inspired by just one of them. you can see lots of great examples by others who have joined the challenge and who didnt have "all the stuff".

I am lucky to have just acquired a few valentines themed "Tim Holtz" products so was keen to try them out. But i didnt have the elements he used.
so i looked at the tag and decided my inspiration was 1) small red hearts and 2) the blackboard effect words. There was a slight hitch with the blackboard effect... I dont have any appropriate word stamps and i dont have the embossing powder stuff; but as Tim's example was purely "inspirational inspiration " then i set to, working out an alternative method for this look...
I used the valentines embossing folder on black kraft core card and gently sanded it a little. then i rubbed my chalk over the raised bits, very carefully smudged it a bit and then sprayed a fixative over it. I used a spray matt varnish but i think any artists fixatives for chalks and pastels would do. perhaps even hairspray as i have heard of folks using that.
When i first sprayed it, the chalk seemed to vanish when it was wet but it came right back again as soon as the spray varnish had dried.

Then i cut out little red hearts and also used the heart border embossing folder to bring the little red hearts inspiration on to my version. the background paper is actually from a christmas stack (merriment) but i think it went well with the theme... hop on over to see Tims original inspiration and maybe get some of your own inspiration and have a go ;)

Z x

Thursday, 6 February 2014

Alice swap...

 
We are in the middle of an altered art "Alice" swap on my facebook page (UK only due to the insane cost of postage these days)... My make has arrived with its recipient so i can now safely blog it. I altered a box (you are not shocked in the least are you? lol)
Lots of crackle and moss and a little mad hatters tea-party inside.

And with it having the queen of hearts on it (and some hearts in general) I would like to make this my second entry to the simon says heart challenge....

Wednesday, 5 February 2014

Altered heart makeovers with faux looks.(SSS)

The month of "Love" is upon us... and I am sharing some altered items with "hearts" as a theme.  A tin one and a wooden one....
on this wooden one,  I had been trying for a "faux ceramic" look by using crackle texture as a first coat base and finishing it with a lot of triple thick glaze at the end. 



Secondly, here is my "faux" vintage enamelled tin. I did this one to match some other kitchenware i already owned...
 The tin was originally pink gingham check with flowers. now it blends in with the above kitchen items (of which i have many lol)

And as the Simon says wednesday challenge is hearts, then I would like to dedicate this post to that...

Monday, 3 February 2014

More Alice.... and continuing to try and learn to make nice cards.


This was a commission card for someone to give their friend along with an alice themed gift. I must be getting better if people are asking me to make cards for them!
this one features a selection of left over  Kaisercraft papers from three or four different collections.
the dies are by XCuts and Sizzix alterations.