Wednesday, 26 March 2014

Stampendous/DecoArt Blog hop Post 3


Well its the final day for this fantastic blog hop full of mixed media. And quite a grand finale it is.  I must take time to get round all the posts as i have been catching glimpses of the work being made over the last two or three weeks, and it is all looking pretty cool.
My post is my 2nd ever journal page and a wee tutorial on creating your own sequin waste stamp "Dandelion clocks".
When I made my first journal page, I had used this stamp rather randomly and when i was looking back at the page, the dots just sort of reminded me of a dandelion clock behind my hummingbird.
So I decided to experiment and see if i could make dandelion clocks using the stamp.
I made this page to match up with my hummingbird page.
To show you the steps i have kept my backgrounds reasonably simple and dark to show up the white paint. i just dripped a few drops of my paints right on to the card and used a brayer to spread the paints across the whole surface.

So get your chosen background and the round sequin waste stamp. load your stamp (in your preferred method) with white paint. now make an imprint on your background.

Repeat till you have the number of dandelion heads you want.
 Now using a thin brush and some black acrylic paint, make a black dot in the middle of the white sequin waste dots. Still using a very fine brush, add the little lines that give the fake seed head look. I started with the 4 main points of a clock so i didnt end up with my little lines all over the place. then i filled in the gaps.

Once the paint is dry, use chalk pastels or something similar, to outline the dandelion heads. smear it in a circular motion with your fingers.


now start building up the layers on your stalks and the place where the stalk meets the seed head.
Add some leaves and other stencilling or stamping as required.  





42 comments:

  1. Really looks like the heads of dandelions.
    I loved the picture with the hummingbird but the butterfly one was as good. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so marvelous! I love the details you were able to create on the dandelion heads. The background really makes them show up well, too! Thanks! This blog hop has been so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really cool! I love your "dandelions" from the circles! Very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so clever!! Love how you used the stamp to make something completely different. Absolute genius! Nathalie will be really excited about this as well!! Thanks so much for sharing with us, Louise!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful! I love the sentiment that you made and the Dandelion Clocks are wonderful. Thank you for sharing the story behind this journal page. I can't wait to do something similar!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like what you did :D - this might be my 2nd post..lol..I didn't see my first post so I tried it again. thank you for showing how you made this, -con

    ReplyDelete
  7. This week has been brilliant. Today's is a fitting finale.....Gorgeous....thank you so much for this week x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wowsa! What gorgeous pages. Such a great tutorial too. I love your colours and how you've used the fabulous products. Erin xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love what you did with just what appears to be a very simple circles stamp. The detailing on the dandelion seedheads is genius. Lovely textures on the background

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so very clever Louise, the dandelion clocks are amazing - so realistic looking and the background is gorgeous too. A truly beautiful piece of art! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful hummingbird piece Louise! I too love those dandelions-very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous inspiration :) Jeni

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your work, it all just comes together seamlessly! I absolutely adore that hummingbird! it's so beautiful! The butterfly is gorgeous but made all the more so with the addition of the dandelion heads. You make a lot of hard work look so achievable and the end results are stunning. Thank you for sharing.

    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow!! Fantastic creation!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Zuzu, I miss words, this is just WONDERFUL painting ans stamping work.... you show us a great way of using this beautiful round sequin waste stamp, in a much more interesting way than basically! :) All is so beautiful on these two pages!!!... Thanks for sharing this last project, your blog has been a great discovery for me. Coco xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it, love it, love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous use of a great stamp, well done you. Very atmospheric and magical. x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous Love what you have done here

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful project , love it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous- I so love how you used my signature stamp set for Stampendous- thank you so much for using them. Beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The layout and paint colors are just my style.....like the stamp idea too!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! I love your techniques!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great page. The dandelions look great.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Brandi (@Fitzysmom)27 June 2014 at 19:56

    I'm going to have to hunt that stamp down. I love the look of your dandelions!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What fab pages, I love the humming bird page, the blue and burgundy look amazing, love the creativity of the dandelions

    ReplyDelete
  26. WOW, that is just stunning. So creative!! I am inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  27. what a brilliant idea can't wait to try it

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful! Love the dandelion heads and the background colours and textures
    Totally gorgeous

    Jools x

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is uniquely beautiful...now you make want that stamp...very creative and pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Absolutely fabulous journal pages Louise and the dandelions are so clever. Thank you for sharing the step by step too.

    Hugs Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  31. I like the dandelions on your matching page.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Gorgeous journal pages. love that you turned the stamp into the flowers! Love the nighttime garden feel on your first & second page.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great page to match up love those dandelions ...

    ReplyDelete
  34. Beautiful work! I love this piece! What a neat idea to use that stamp for dandelions! Beautiful job! Thanks for sharing.

    Katie B.

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a wonderful work of art. I commented before, but it didn't show.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wonderful! Love the dandelion heads,the background colors, textures and adore that hummingbird!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love your background and dandelions!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Shirley says:
    I love this and I think I can do these.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Gorgeous page you've made, love the detail. Happy crafting, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  40. Your dandelions look adorable, Zuzu!

    Love your page as it has a very "natural" feel to it. Feels like being a tiny bug admiring the beauty of the "forest" I live in.

    Hugs,
    Claudia x

    ReplyDelete