Friday, 23 May 2014

Faux leather notbook.

 
With fathers day imminent I find myself focusing on 'stuff for men', or with a male theme, at the moment.

I am lucky in that most of the men in my life are in touch with their arty sensitive side so i can make them almost anything (well maybe not something festooned with flowers). But I do have a difficult to make for, father in law. for him, it needs to have a purpose, be useful, functional. So I have made this little note book. It still satisfies my need to make new things look old but it is under stated and most importantly, it has a purpose.
 I made the cover using so Tim Holtz kraft-core paper. I wanted a "faux leather" look so I chose a nice leathery tan brown sheet. I also used a gorgeous new spellbinders embossing folder 3D M-Bossabilities Folder, Mediterranean Medallion (I love this folder SO much.)

I cut the kraft core sheet to size then crumpled it up to make folds and wrinkles. I straitened it all back out and gave it a light sand with sandpaper. Then I ironed it back out flat and put it through the embossing machine (I used a sizzix big shot so had to work out what combo of plates and mats would work.) once i had embossed the front and back cover of my book (with a little gap for a spine), i sanded it again so the embossing stood out more. To make it look like old polished leather, it needed some colour variations and  a slight shine so I added a few blotches of  "Vintage photo distress stains" and then i gave my cover a coat of  DecoArt satin finished multi surface sealer. (any varnish, sealer or decoupage sealer type finish will do).

 To bring the pattern out more I used treasure gold. I want to take this chance to say, I have been buying treasure gold from art shops for over 10 years. they are gilding wax polishes that most art shops have been stocking for many many years. They are available in lots of highstreet and online art and craft shops too and they are NOT made by PaperArtsy. PaperArtsy started stocking them more recently but they do not own them or make them. I dont know why they are sometimes advertised as "paperartsy treasure golds" it is a little misleading.
Anyway I digress... I used my finger to gently rub over the raised bits of the embossing.
I cut out an image from Tim Holtz paper stash "laboratorie" and put an ornamental plate over it to attach to the centre of the book. I added a Remnant rub from the life quotes pack.
For the inside, I simply stitched some folded papers together. before i glued it in to the cover, I glued a bit of ribbon on to the inside of the spin, to be used as a page marker. i then glued my note book signature in by using the outside pages. I did not glue it to the spine. the book opens and closes better if its not attached to the cover's spine.


I used some pages from an old book to cover the glued pages up just to give it a nice finished off look and add a bit of interest. I added a few little page tabs too, decorated with chit chat stickers.

And that's my little notebook.

13 comments:

  1. this doesn't seem enough but just simply 'wow'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this Louise! Thank you for sharing I will def have a go at this XX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, a brilliant notebook, Zuzu,

    and I love your interpretation of Tim's May tag a lot!!!!
    Thank you so much for your wonderful comments on my blog! :)

    Claudia xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous make Louise! I've been having a play with a faux leather look using craft paper rubbed with a glycerine and water mixture as described by Sheena Douglas on her blog. It's a bit of a long winded process, the result you've achieved here is gorgeous x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your father-in-law will love this Louise, it is beautiful and functional too. I love the faux leather look and the embossing gives it such an aged look. This really is a beauty. I hope you will consider entering our All About Him challenge at A Vintage Journey.

    Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning project, love the colours you have used
    I've just ordered the folder can't wait to use it after seeing this
    Wonderful

    Jools x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally fab Zuz, that SB folder is brilliant!! I so love that faux leather look!!! Papa in law is going to love it, but don't give it to him before Monday, I want to touch this!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is magnificent! Love it - just up my street with this but then so much of your work is.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs, Neet xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - this is terrific, Louise! LOVE the real antique look! Makes me want to do something aged looking right away! Thank you for the wonderful inspiration! Love the make for your father in law too by the way!

    Hugs,
    Claudia x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Incredible vintage lustre - beautiful work.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful art, you sound like me, mixed media is great. I have two clock shells that are rectangle, I was going to do something like your clock shell art. Thanks for sharing. The sequin waste stamp, did you make it? Again love your art.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete