Tuesday, 18 March 2014

Book of eggs.... for Calico Crafts

calico crafts bird egg book box 00
with the Spring Equinox just 3 days away, I have been very much enjoying the springtime theme of birds and eggs; symbols of fertility and new growth. So I have continued using this them today (probably for the last itme till next year). I have made this book of eggs book box.
It is the smaller of the 2 book set book boxes with the nice rounded spine. I covered the front and back of the book with Vintage Decor Bird paper and an old book page on the spine. I then gave it all a few coats of white wash (watered down Titanium white acrylic paint). I gave a couple of the gorgeous new "Calico Craft Parts"  flourishes a nice rusty paint effect. to achieve the effect, I added a little texture using DecoArt texture paste. when it had dried i painted it using DecoArt Traditions in; transparent red iron oxide, quinacridone gold and some stipples of raw umber.
I gave them a little bit of a white wash too.
calico crafts bird egg book box 01

calico crafts bird egg book box 07 
I then added some of the "Calico Craft Parts" grass, (in stock soon) and some of the Kaisercraft ephemera. i used the texture paste to give the sides of the book some fake pages. apply it flat with a palette knife then before it dries, use the edge of the knife to mark lots of lines in it.  leave it to dry.
calico crafts bird egg book box 02
I painted the sides of the book with a colour wash of raw umber mixed with quinacridone gold then i gave it a white wash when dry.
 calico crafts bird egg book box 05 inside my book i made a little divider, out of corrugated card, to create partitions for my eggs to go in. I used more book pages and white wash paint as well as some moss and some eggs were added.
calico crafts bird egg book box 06
All i had to do then was to just add a few finishing touches here and there, like the little crowns and rusty hearts etc, as well as a few pieces from my personal stash.

4 comments:

  1. love your use of pale paint colours for this piece...very shabby chic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!! Love the whitewash and the crowned eggs is divine. Noticed the Member of the Int. Decoart Design team sign in the sidebar :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely stunning I am bookmarking this one under inspirational pieces. TFS xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. An amazing piece, I love it.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete