Friday, 31 January 2014

Alice's Advebtures in a hot air balloon..... (SSS Wednesday)

It's a "hot air balloon" project for you today. It features the Kaisercraft "looking glass" collection of papers and ephemera. And as my balloon is held together with (and hung by) some string, I am including it in the Simon says stamp wednesday challenge HERE.

Before starting, i separated the basket section from the balloon section to make it easier to work with.
I cut my sections of paper out close to the required shape (slightly larger) and glued them on one panel at a time. Once each panel dried, I trimmed it and sanded the edges before sticking on the next panel. dont sand the paper till its dry or i will tear. Use a heat tool if you like, to dry the glue and take the wrinkles back out of the paper quicker than waiting on it air drying.
Once all the panels were in place and sanded to distress it, I aged it a bit more by using a Versamagic"Chalk ink" pad (gingerbread).
Next I cut slits in the sides of the balloon and slotted the large gold wings in to place.  These are super huge and wonderfully detailed; pretty sturdy too considering they are a type of metallic paper/ card....
I used a piece of german scrap trim to decorate the edges and the top of the balloon and then set to work on the basket section. I covered it with more papers (i did it in three sections due to the shape being wider at the top than the bottom). I sanded and inked it in the same way as I did the top and then added more dresden trim.

I cut out Alice and her friends from a sheet of the paper and glued them to the inside and then cut up a paper doily to decorate the inside of the basket. I stained the doily to blend better with the yellowed paper look of the scrapbook papers.
 I also added some strips of decorative border (cut from the papers) and attached them using the glue on the edges only. this way i could slip little bits of ephemera in to them.  lastly i added some "alice" themed charms for a nice vintage curio feel. the flag at the top is also from the ephemera pack.
That's it folks. Alice's Adventures in a hot air balloon...

6 comments:

  1. Very clever! I love the little charms hanging out the basket so cute. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome, a fun and gorgeous looking project x

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE IT!!
    I love every little detail...but the wings are just great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant balloon ! Fantastic !

    Thank you for joining us at Simon Says Wednesday Challenge this week

    Jo x

    ReplyDelete