Monday, 7 October 2013

Yule tide shadow box....

I have altered a Shadow box for this Yuletide Craft project.
I simply painted the box in layers. I started with DecoArt raw umber acrylic. I gave the whole box, inside and out, a really good coat of that so the wood soaked it up. when it was dry, i dry brushed a good few layers of the fake blue patina using DecoArt Traditions acrylic paint in DecoArt Phthalo green blue. lastly i dry brushed on some DecoArt Titanium white, allowing the other colours to show through a lot from underneath.
Next I used "DecoArt Snow tex" along the floor of the inside frame, and a little around the outside too. while it was wet i sprinkled DecoArt crystal glamour dust over it so it looked like frosty twinkly snow.
I also added snow tex and glamour dust to the two little fir trees (these are by Tim Holtz). I didn't colour them to leave them with that creamy natural colour, as it tied in with the tones on the german scraps i was about to add.  i simply glued the trees into place then cut out two figures from a german scrap sheet  and glued them into place. the boy on the inside of the frame has three or four layers of dimensional tape on the back so he is a little bit 3D. I used a little bit of chalk ink on the wooden sledge just to tone it in a bit with blues and browns but just a hint, hardly noticeable. I glued the sledge in to place then put a touch more Snow-tex around it so it looks likes its sitting in the snow and not floating above it...

I sprinkled a bit more glamour dust over the whole thing. I felt the cream of the trees and the scraps was not sitting well with the blue and white so I used some "DecoArt metallic lustres" to tone it in. I used the "Champagne" colour just to connect the frame with the embellishments. I used my finger to put it along the edges in a random manner. I also put a little touch of it on some of the raised bits of snow. the champagne colour was just perfect to match in with the trees and scrap angels. lastly I added the wax snowflakes i have had lying at the bottom of a craft drawer for 3 years. i touched them up with the champagne lustres too.
That's it. I am unsure if its what i had imagined when i started but i like it. I may still move things around and pile more stuff in to it to make a more eclectic little shadow box. If I do, I will come back and share some photos.

6 comments:

  1. How very adorable and sweeet, I love the magic of christmas you created in this box !!
    Greetings, Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello
    I think this is just gorgeous, and it is not too early, inspiration is always welcome no matter the season.
    Smiles:)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful project Zuzu, love those snow angels and that wooden sledge is adorable. Great paint effects on the box itself too, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous Louise. Love the colours and those images are wonderful

    TFS
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this Louise, love the overall softness of the piece,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your work is beautiful!! I have a similar piece I made, but I can't show it off yet!!
    I love the sled die cut!!
    Thanks for visiting my blog today!
    xxDaniella

    ReplyDelete