Wednesday, 28 August 2013

Where the wild things grow: Woodland journal....


I have started on a 12 week course towards a John Muir Award. The John Muir Award is an environmental award scheme focused on wild places. It encourages awareness and responsibility for the natural environment, in a spirit of fun, adventure and exploration. anyway we have been encouraged to make a few notes on our observations of the changes in the woodland we will be working in as Autumn comes in and then winter. we were given a few bits of folded paper for this note taking activity. Scrap paper I don't think so!!!!! Clearly not arty enough lol.
So I altered a journal I had in the house.
it started life like this.....

And now, with the help of DecoArt paints and lustres, it looks like this.....


I gave the journal a light sanding before starting as I was not sure what it was made of and if paint would adhere OK.  then I used a stipple brush to add colour..
I used:
Quinacridone gold
burnt Sienna
raw umber
true ochre
forest green
antique green

I stippled the colour on the book cover then glued on some moss and leaves... when the glue was dry i also stippled the moss and leaves with the paints. I wanted to use sprays but they are expensive. using inspiration from my craft buddy Trish, I made my own sprays using cheap spray bottles, acrylic paint and water. you can make it as strong or weak as you like. and to give it a twinkle like you get in mica sprays, I also added some of the metallic lustres. gave it a good shake till it was mixed and then sprayed. it worked a treat and added that touch of metallic glitz. I used some of the lustre on my finger to add highlights to some of the raised bits of the book and leaves. i finished it off with a universal sealer to protect it from the elements.



So my journal is ready for next weeks entry. here is a glimps of this weeks notes ( I have spared you the creative writing by doing a bit of creative cropping ;)



4 comments:

  1. what a wonderful addition the journal will make to your course. It will be a permanent reminder of your time with nature, would love you to share some of it with us as you add bits/nature to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fabulous and a great improvement to the cover, the transparent colours look amazing, and incredible texture, I bet the photo does not do it justice,.
    Smiles:)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fantastic.I love the rich ,deep colours you have used and the leaves and the berries look lovely against the deep background.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous transformation with great colours and textures! Sounds like a wonderful course too! Loved the little glimpses of the sketches inside!

    ReplyDelete