Monday, 20 January 2014

Book box for Calico crafts...

I decided to alter a couple  of those fab "book boxes" with the recess in the middle. I had been getting inspired by some altered art elsewhere that was WAY beyond my abilities but it still got my creative juices flowing. I felt a need to feed my rust and blue patina fetish.This is the first of the two projects with the second to follow on monday.
I painted the whole thing in a nice aqua colour then when it was dry i used weathered wood crackle medium in places and simple PVA glue in others... then, when it was touch dry i gave it a top coat in a more neutral colour... I used one called eggshell but anything like light buttermilk, pebble, warm white or antique white.. or mix something yourself.
I heat dried it all with my heat gun. i got crackle were the "weathered wood" medium was on on the bits with the pva (which would have crackled too had i left it) I over heated deliberately so it blistered and made cool wee distressed lumps and bumps.  I went over the bumps carefully with my gingerbread chalk ink then used it around all the edges.
I then started tearing and cutting up old book pages, papers (7 gypsies global and trousseau ), calico, hessian(burlap) and lace, and collaging them on in a distressed and random manner. I used my versamagic gingerbread chalk ink on the edges of the papers .
 I added rusty nails, rusty keys, buttons, feathers, and then used my rusting and patina solutions from my personal stash and dripped over some random areas to give a really worn, damaged, aged look. I also used the solutions over the spine..
I added more book pages to the sides of the box and rusted them with the paint and rust solution from my stash. you could just use dirty brown paint brush water or use any inks you have that you use to age things.  my finishing touch (for now) is the bit of drift wood at the top, with some blue and white watery paint added in some areas, wrapped in rusty wire. i tucked a rusty star in there too and dripped some of my iron paint and rusting solution....
Inside is a simple little collection of "beach finds" (or calico crafts finds)... A bit of fishing net, a couple of shells and some drift wood sticks.

6 comments:

  1. Awesome.Absolutely love the spine of he book and of course the rusty embellies.So wish we could get these products here.sigh..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Completely gorgeous... and I'm so with you on the teal and rust colour combination!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, i'm always on my knees when you're using this blue- ish colour in combination with rusty things. Love it, love it, love it!! (:o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic work! Love love love this book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is amazing.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning, Louise! I really love your colour choice. I fancy a go at something like this but I have just bought gorgeous book boxes with The Eiffel Tower on can't cover them up!!!

    ReplyDelete