Monday, 15 July 2013

Mixed media canvas: Limor's July challenge.


I like to try and take part in the monthly challenge run by Limor Webber, each month. it forces me to either follow a sketch or follow a set of instructions for items that must be included. this month it was a mixed media canvas with stamping included and an inspirational quote or saying that means something to you. My Tim Holtz stamp was perfect for this as i spent the first 45 years of my life trying to be what others wanted or expected. even when it came to what i wore.
I have started on a better path that is more honest with myself and folks get what they see and if they dont like it then they dont need to hang around. its not an easy path but all personal development takes work. the best life lessons are the hardest ones.
So now i try to be me. I even got a tattoo and didnt let the disapproving comments of family members affect me the way i used to. They may not like it, but then I wasn't asking them to get one. "I" like it and it is on "MY" body.

Anyhoo back to the wee canvas... here it is in a step by step form.
I started with a small rectangular canvas of about 6inches tall (rough guess as it is upstairs and i am downstairs and i can not be bothered to go back up and measure it)...
The first step was to glue on a text book page. I used a random page from some loose pages i had piled on my desk. but for the quote at the top (added later) I used a bit from Jane Eyre (a girl and woman who didnt change to suite anyone).  I dabbed some distress inks on my craft sheet (actually a baking sheet from lakeland plastics cus it was cheaper), sprayed with water and rubbed and dragged my text covered canvas over it. the colours i used were shabby shutters, pine needle and broken china. I also sprayed some tattered angel glimmer mists (apple) over it in places. I also stamped on some grungy circles and made some random smears, using black soot distress ink.
Next i added texture. I pressed some "artdeco decorating paste" through a stencil (I think this is also a tattered angel product)... i let some of the decorating paste smear over the canvas to add some slightly more random texture.
Then i coloured the paste by spraying over the apple coloured spray. i heat dried the decorating texture paste as it puffs it up a bit more. then i highlighted it with treasure gold (classic gold and aquamarine treasure jewels).

 


I added an image by image transfer. the image i used was from a sheet by ARTChix and I used gel medium to do my image transfer. I am no expert on image transfer. i miss more than i hit so i recomend reading about it by someone who knows what they are doing. i have found that if your image is too glossy, that a white residue seems to get left behind blurring the image. so i try not to use shiny collage paper images. but if that does happen, you can bring the image back out by wetting it.. obviously it will dry again so to achieve a wet effect that lasts, varnish your image (modpodge, glossy accents, anything that will bring the image out.).
I stamped out my saying on to a bit of the book paper that had a blank bit (at the end of a chapter) and I inked the edges using versamagic (gingerbread) chalk ink. I sealed the whole canvas with a layer of modpodge.

when the modpodge was dry i added a few 7 gypsies rubon numbers then gave the whole canvas a very liberal coat of Decoart one step crackle medium and went away to let it dry. dont be tempted to heat dry it as the crackles end up being a bit too wee and ineffective.
When it had dried a gave the canvas a liht wash over with brown paint and wiped it all back off with a baby wipe. this leaves some paint in the cracks so they show up.
I cut out some butterflies from a sheet of graphic45 paper and also crackle varnished them. I glued them on to the canvas. i gave a final highlight of raised texture as well as around the edges with the treasure gold and that was it done.
 Here i have tilted it to the light so you can see the texture and treasure gold....

6 comments:

  1. So beautiful Zuzu! Can't wait to do something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous piece and thanks so much for sharing your all the deets so clearly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wonderful...and thank you for the step-by-step images and info x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful canvas, I love those colors.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your story could have been my own, it wasn't until later in my life I had the courage to be me, pathetic isn't it, but a fact. Great demo with the canvas and beautiful results. Hugs Annette x

    ReplyDelete