Sunday, 12 May 2013

Calico Crafts day...


Well I dont scrapbook... I think that's important to say so you maybe can be a little kind to me. Technically this is my first attempt. I realise getting the composition on a canvas or ATC or card etc etc, is much the same skill as needed on a 12x12 scrapbook page, but the size seems daunting to me and I dont much like photos, unless they are vintage and sepia...
So with all that in mind, I found an old photo of my Granddad during the war (World war 2) and decided to make something with that photo. I used a little bulldog clip thing to hold the photo in place so i didnt have to get it near paint, ink or glue.
I used a sheet of 7 gypsies postale paper (called 'document') for the front main page. I tore it in places and rolled the edges back (I know, I do this a lot but I have liked it for the last 7 years, i dont predict a change any time soon lol). I also distressed all around the edges of the sheet and inked it with versamagic chalk ink (gingerbread)... now, because of the torn back bits i had to back it on to something else that was OK to show through. I raided my VERY old drawer of scrapbook papers and found a suitably boring brown vintage looking bit. not sure who it was made by. it looked a bit like very old Victorian wallpaper. I layered my postale sheet on top of that. it looked nice and sepia to go along with the tones in the photo.
The bunting flags are cut from another postale sheet (called 'post'). I thought the stripes looked almost patriotic in colour but aged and faded. the map at the back of the main photo is from Tim Holtz' "crowded attic"  salvage stickers (its a nice BIG sticker), as is the bit of hand written letter. The tags are 7 gypsies tags i had in my paper drawer.
And although its not relevant to the post, here is a wee close up of the photo and my Granddad...


2 comments:

  1. Another fabulous looking sneak peek...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Off to take a peek right now, looks interesting....

    ReplyDelete