Sunday, 10 March 2013

Deconstructed reconstructed, altered box.


I decided to use up the last of my "ladies Diary" papers (By Graphic 45) and decorate a box.
I had a gift box from Christmas (well to be fair my husband did but I "claimed it" as alterable so made it mine.)

I didn't want a lift off lid so decided to cut it up and take it apart to reconstruct the whole box with a flip lid.

I just cut off the edges with a craft knife (scissors would do as it all got sanded anyway).


Once the flaps were all cut off i covered the lids top with some rose themed wrapping paper. I snipped the corners to make the folds neater... (dont snip too close to the edge of the box or you will have corners peeking through uncovered.)


I let the glue dry and then sanded the paper. I sanded the edges but also gave a light sand over the whole lid for a worn aged look. then I inked the edges using my favourite versamagic chalk ink "gingerbread"....
You can add a wee loop of ribbon or lace at this stage. the ends will eventually be covered up by the papers that decorate the inside of the box.

I carried on decorating the lid with some lace and bits from the "ladies diary" scrapbook papers collection. I also used some Kaizercraft ephemera (in this instance its the coffee pot), for extra interest.

I set the lid aside and made the section of card that would attach my "flip open lid" to the box. its a nice sturdy bit of card and one part slides inside the box to glue to one inside edge and the other end gets the lid attached to it.

Hopefully this next image shows what i mean about how it will fit in to the box.

 I glued my lid on then set it aside till i had decorated the rest of the box.
 So I covered the box in more rose themed paper by simply gluing sections on. and once the glue had dried I sanded it gently all over (to age it)... I also inked the edges as I did with the lid.


Construct your box by adding the lid and decorate inside with some sympathetic papers (I am now imagining the papers patting the box and saying "there there") .. so forget the phrase "sympathetic" and lets go with complimentary... or maybe "matching" . i used some 7gypsies trousseaux papers and some Vintage decor papers.
Adorn the outside of your box with papers, images and lace ( as well as the graphic 45 ladies diary papers, I also used kaisercraft ephemera, German scraps and some K&Co ephemera.) then seal it with a few layers of mod podge. I took photos of the box while the mod podge was still wet lol. no patience at all. but its looking grand now its dry.


5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful box, liked the idea to make the the lid a "flip lid"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what an absolute treasure of a box, totally yummy! Love the idea of the flip-up lid, so very clever and I adore all the papers you have used. Absolute vintage gorgeousness, and so good to see you creating your beautiful art again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful vintage box, the flip lid is a great idea, Judith xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Louise

    what a fabulous idea to make a flip lid. The papers you have used are fantastic. Love the finished piece.

    THanks for sharing

    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so with you about the no patience!! Lovely.

    ReplyDelete