Monday, 17 June 2013

Faux Lacquered Oriental Box

I like making new things (and recycled things) look like ancient old curios. I liked the shape of this wee box my friend Ali gave me to alter. It instantly inspired thoughts of black and red oriental. Not sure why but it did so I altered it to make it look ancient and crackled and well used. the paper is some paper i have had a very long time. one of my favourites from Basic Grey. I dont know if they still make it or not as i don't really buy papers any more.
Firstly I painted it black, inside and out, then sealed it with mod podge.  Then I added the paper top and bottom... I also sealed that with mod podge. when it was dry I put a layer of one step crackle varnish on to it... I exaggerated the crackle by rubbing black paint in to it and using a wet baby-wipe to remove all the excess paint. the black stayed in the cracks to make them stand out more and to add an older look as if years of handling had allowed dirt to get into the cracks.

I stamped some oriental characters around the box in a random manner using a gold ink pad.. let it dy and then sealed it again with more mod podge (I used a gloss finish this time so it wouldn't detract from the gloss of the crackle glaze.
I finished it off by glueing in some authentic oriental papers to the inside lid and base. and glued on some luck coins to the outside.

6 comments:

  1. Breathtakingly beautiful, Z! I love the oriental look. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you were so right to do the box in Oriental style, it looks perfect and so old! One step crackle sounds like a great idea, I definitely need some of that. I also love your insect on the AS blog and your previous post, the colours are just stunning! Many thanks for your visit earlier too, Crafty hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your boxes are always gorgeous! If I ever need inspiration I always come to your blog! Thanks for sharing your talent.
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. The colour and finish on this box is just outstanding

    ReplyDelete