Friday, 4 May 2012

Rust fairy: Altered Muslin Bunny


I turned one of the little white muslin bunnies in to a rustic, rusty fairy princess. It all started with a rusty tin and a bottle of white vinegar....

The tin has to be rusty to start with or you must pop a few rusty nails etc in to encourage the growth of rust in the vinegar. the longer you leave everything in there, the richer the colour you will get.  I wasn't very patient (I never am) so managed to leave it in there for 6 or 7 hours at the most. I am ashamed of myself. no self restraint. had I managed to leave it for a couple of days  i expect the results would have been richer...
well I didnt so here is how I made her despite under rusting.
I rusted some white linen from a very old table cloth, some strips of lace, the bunny and a lovely crown. once they were out of the vinegar, I rinsed thoroughly and let them dry and pressed them with the iron.

I decorated the linen by stamping stars on it, then turned it in to a little dress  adding the lace and sewing on the little heart buttons (they are sewn on very loosely so the wiggle about when you move the bunny...).
I also made her an underskirt from hessian (burlap) with a linen band along the bottom, stamped with hearts. this helps keep her dress puffed up nicely. I glued on little rusty stars on the hemline too.

I glued the crown to her head, sewed some little rusty bells to her feet and attached a rusty star to her hand...the finishing touch was to attach two large rusty stars to her back to make her rust fairy wings.




Supplies used from Calico Crafts:
Muslin Bunny HERE
lace  HERE
rusty jingle bells    HERE
rusty hearts and stars    HERE
crown  HERE
star stamps from the 7 gypsies Lille set HERE
primitive heart buttons   HERE
elastic  HERE
hessian (burlap)   HERE

6 comments:

  1. Loving your altered bunny. Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Rusty Bunnikins she is adorable. We are very partial to Bunnies in our house (not to eat obviously!) She has just the right amount of rust in my opinion, gorgous sewing and stamping. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, she is adorable!!! Love the wee wings and crown!! Looks like a fab technique, you'll have to tell me all about it!

    See ya soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Calico Bunnies, I have made a start at some dolls but not tried the bunnies yet, I love the colour of them
    Lots of love
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this is fantastic. I must have 10 of these bunnies already sewn..use to have a business years ago with my daughter.

    I've never done the rust technique and to be sure I just tossed into the trash a pan almost exactly the same as yours that had rusted after only using it twice to roast a turkey. Go figure...just when you get rid of something. Must find new rusted pan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL this is the way of the world. It is no wonder, that some people end up hoarding everything "just in case" they need it.
      no shortage of rusty tins in this house. dampness I think. i cant keep a baking tray or roasting dish rust free for very long. have taken to rubbing a light coating of olive oil over them all after use.
      thanks for your kind comments on my blog. good luck with the rusting.

      Delete