Tuesday, 29 May 2012

Inspiration from The Purple Thread Shed:

As some of you know,I have been doing some classes with Ali at "The purple thread shed" in Roslin.  The classes are called "nostalgic pictures in fabric". (I think I keep getting the title of that class wrong, but you get the idea lol. )

Well although some of the techniques are the same as I use in paper crafting and altered art, I have also learned a few things and gained a fair bit of inspiration from Ali and her classes (and we are only half way through.). I made a wee fabric hanging using some of the ideas and inspiration I have been getting there. If anyone lives remotely near Roslin, I would say these little intimate classes are very worth while.. This is a based around a photo of my Dad.... printed on to fabric for me by Ali from The Purple Thread Shed. 
My dad, was the artist in the family.. he was a very keen amateur painter and he also taught me how to play the guitar. It is, I am sure, because of him, that I am in to crafting, art and music, and down to my mum that I wanted to be a therapist (she was a kind hearted caring soul) and a cook.... so my dads fabric collage features music paper and a quote about art.

Most of my fabric, lace and rusty hearts were supplied by Calico Crafts HERE...

8 comments:

  1. looks an amazing piece Z...would love to do a course like that, especially if it inspires you to create like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful gifts you inherited from your parents! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic collage. Right up my street. Great that it so personal with the photo of your Dad, so gorgeously aged. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Love this Louise....Its amazing what influence our parents have on us.. a lesson to be learned there me thinks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Louise, this is gorgeous! Wow...I really love everything about it. My dad was an artist as well....although had to use his talent in the advertising world to make a living rather than to really have the time to just express himself though his creations. Your collage is just so lovely and I am quite sure so sentimental. Beautiful job! <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow love this, the texture on the fabric is so subtle, love the combination of the soft fabric and the rusty grungy bits. Wished I wasn't busy on Thursday nights. Now I haven't a clue what "covety" is,but I'm sure I'm feeling it about this piece lol.
    Great story about your mum and dad too!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing collage, I love it.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI Zuzu
    I just found your blog and love your work. will follow this now.
    I'm making some mini quilts and after some hangers like the one in this picture. Can you tell me where i can purchase some? I live in Australia and used up my supplies and the seller no longer has them. Thanks
    Celeste

    ReplyDelete