Saturday, 15 June 2013

Heart of nature.

(since first adding this post I have taken off a butterfly and added a rusty heart due to that niggling feeling of it not being just quite right.)


I have had this very large heart, from Calico Crafts, in my kit for a while. I realise they are discontinued (only 4 left... 2 of each size) but i wanted to experiment with some Deco Art acrylic paints; just because. So rather than use up something that i might want to use as a main design team piece (in case I ruined it) i decided to use the heart anyway.

Firstly i gave it a coat of a rusty colour (made by mixing a little of the brandy wine red and some Cranberry wine red.. no alcohol included just the paint lol)

I let it dry and added a coat of PVA glue as a barrier between the first coat and the second coat. Let the glue go tacky enough to paint over but not dry...
For my second coat of paint, I used Hauser light green. This is where the aged worn effects come in to play. If you leave it to dry naturally, you should get a nice crackle effect. This happens because the PVA glue is drying at a different rate to the paint.

At this stage you can also choose just to give it a light sand for a shabby chic sort of look; but I wanted something a bit more dramatic.

So I took my heat gun to it. Again, because of the PVA glue, you get a cool effect. The paint will blister and bubble; you must hold the heat at each spot and not just wave over the area. concentrate the heat on all the bits you want to blister, you can even allow the paint to scorch a little. now let it go cold and dry hard before taking some sandpaper and lightly sanding the blisters off. (the objects in the picture are purely to give size perspective. so you can see it is a BIG heart)
To add more interest and design, I used some mesh fabric as a stencil and dabbed my Versamagic Chalk ink (gingerbread) through. It gives a similar effect as using sequin waste, but i thought the pattern was a bit more reminiscent of a metal flooring.

Now its ready for me to decorate in some way. I started by stamping a large face stamp on to some tissue paper. (I used my gingerbread chalk ink again and heat set it with the heat gun but if you dont have a heat gun just set it aside to dry for a few minutes.

Glue it into place and then blend it in a little by sponging on some of the green paint around the edges and then when its dry add a few touches of the gingerbread chalk ink through the mesh. this makes the image look a bit more like its a part of the piece rather than just randomly stuck down.

I embellished it by adding grunge board-swirls and clock hands, some ivy leaves taken from the ivy garland (I coloured them with chalk inks and gold polish) , a green butterfly and some little number charms. The final touch was to add some wording. I cut that from the top of the sheet music I used to cover the grunge-board clock hands.



Supplies used from Calico Crafts:
Chipboard heart (discontinued so very limited stock.) HERE
Deco Art American acrylic paint HERE (brandy wine, calico red and Hauser green)
Versamagic Chalk inks HERE
Ivy Garland HERE
butterfly HERE
Rusty Heart HERE
The paper I used as a backdrop to take photos on, is one of the large collage sheets and you can find that HERE

7 comments:

  1. Fabulous piece of artwork, thanks for the tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  2. Louise, this is entirely amazing! I love it and thanks for much for the wonderful tutorial! Love your design on the heart and the face stamped on tissue paper and then blended in looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing your art with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Louse the heart piece is lovely. The green and the gingerbread colour (cool name) has a nostalgic feel which suits your image so well. Love the look of the ivy leaves too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous Louise, love love the background, the PVA always looks fabulous, something I've not done in a while. Thanks for the fabulous step by steps too. Love the layout and the ivy leaves and embellishments are a fabulous addition. Thanks so much for joining in the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge. Tracy x x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I likey likey ;0) not colours I would use together but they work!

    Love Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fab heart, and a super little tute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. very interesting tutorial ! thank you for the tips !!

    ReplyDelete