Thursday, 8 March 2012

From Napkin box to Correspondence box: Designed for calico crafts.

This lovely sturdy box is sold as a napkin box from Calico Crafts, and it is a perfect size for storing them... but its also a great size for square cards and envelopes. I have a preference for square cards. You could make this box as a gift and fill it with hand designed notelets or use it as a memory box to store received cards and invitations etc.

I have covered mine using my favourite papers of the moment; 7gypsies. Mostly I have used papers from the Conservatory range (I bought a 10x10 pad and its lasting me well for many projects). So the basics of this box is preparing the surface with a light sanding and then cutting and gluing the paper on to the box to cover it. I like to cut the paper and then just to age it before gluing, I blend some "gingerbread" Versamagic chalk ink along the edges. This gives it a nice scorched vintage look.

Once its covered, inside and out, you can start decorating. I firstly used Veramagic chalk inks again; this time I have inked the papers with "sea breeze" and "turquoise gem" to change the over all tone and look. I used the sea breeze to tint the papers from the edge, quite a way in really. by adding just a fine coat of the ink, the images are not compromised at all. I liked this colour with the egg pattern, as it gave a sort of duck egg blue hint to it. The Turquoise gem colour is darker so I highlighted along all the edges with it. I also used the gingerbread ink again in places to enhance the aged distressed look.

For the inside of the bok, I really got to work with distressing the lid. after the paper was glued and inked and nicely dry, i took sandpaper to it and sanded it back a fair bit. it made it faded and distressed and then I played around with the chalk inks till I liked how it looked.... (you can see this effect a bit better if you click on the image and enlarge it.)

With all the ink and paper completed.... I simply started decorating it with lace and flowers (I actually used some large white poinsettia flowers and just added chalk ink to colour them.) etc... I also cut out some little "correspondence letters" from 7gypsies Camden paper , aged them and stuck them to the inside of the box as if they had been casually tucked in there.
My last touch (as ever) was to take treasure gold gilt wax polish along some of the edges in a distressed manner... now its ready to hold your hand made cards and notelets. (or in my case my ONE card and 5 cards my talented friend Paula made.. I always buy my cards from her, and I like to have a regular stock of them to turn to for all occasions. this is a good way to keep them stored and on hand)..
With thanks to my Friend Kathy for the fab jewelled embellishment. x

8 comments:

  1. This is so fantastic!! I have no words enough to say how I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just gorgeous, you've decorated it beautifully (and I love how the box completely opens up) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too Suze. I was thinking it gives a good opportunity to add a little pocket for a pen and stamps on the inside of the lid.... I may still do that.

    thank you ladies x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a pretty little box and what a great idea to make a gift of cards. Off to check thisout!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Louise this is such a gorgeous box, LOVE IT!!! Must get me one of those boxes lol, such a fab idea!

    Thanks for your visit to my blog, I'm so glad you did because it made me visit yours and I had not been for far too long. So many fab projects here!

    As to your other comment, I'll try and pm you (if I can find your email).... we will do it one day soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...such a lovely box!! I love how you altered it into such a work of art! <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the box idea your blog always inspires me
    Love
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. very pretty work. Love the papers you have used. Love Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete