Monday, 12 March 2012

Candle holder / Egg holder: for calico crafts

Make this fun spring decoration from one of the wooden candle holders from Calico Crafts. You can still use it to hold candles after the egg has been eaten or , if you are strange, like me, and dont really like chocolate, you could use it to store and display your fresh eggs in the kitchen. It looks nice on a kitchen shelf.

I made this one by giving it a coat of blue acrylic paint, followed by a coat of weathered wood crackle medium and when that was dry I added a very fine coat of white acrylic paint. it crackles quite quickly and once it as dry i added an extra distressed shabby chic look by sanding it in places too.

So plenty of the blue shows through but its nicely tone down with the white wash.Now using some of the jungle moss, I glued a grass effect along the bottom of the candle holder.

Next, I sanded the edges of the large wooden bunny and the set of small ones. I coloured two or three of the small bunnies with a light wash of the blue paint, then glued my bunnies in to place.

the final touches are the little wooden flowers with the fabric coating. just to help tone them in, I rubbed some of the 'sea breeze' versamagic chalk ink along the edges of the petals. Again, simply glue in to place (they come with a ready to peel sticky back and this works well.)

That was it really. I filled it up with more jungle moss and then popped an egg inside... you can get some lovely individual cellophane wrapped eggs that would look great in here. I bought the cheapest one i could find, just to show you the general idea. no use buying a posh egg when i dont like chocolate.... right?

3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous Spring creation, love the bunny's and the distressed feel. Ooh I love chocolate lol. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you don't like chocolate...but your little holder looks cute. Love the leather bunny, too!! Very vintage (:o)
    Elly

    ReplyDelete