Saturday, 18 February 2012

Bird boxes: for calico Crafts

Well its the fifth week of the "Calico Crafts" design team blog already and I am back with my third project.

I bought a set of the wooden boxes, which I think are great value considering you get 4 in the set. I have split the set up and put the two smallest together for a matching pair of bird and bird egg themed boxes. I will start with the larger box then tell you about the smaller box.

I used a sheet of 7 Gypsies paper from the conservatory range to cover the box in sections. I saved some of the details like the text and the eggs to cut out and layer on over the top in a collage style. I did this to make sure there were plenty of points of interest on all faces of the box.

Once the glue had dried I began to shade and distress the paper using Versamagic Chalk inks. I started by going around all the edges with the "Sea Breeze" shade. I let it blend quite far in to the paper, letting it spread for about an inch in from the edges. next i did the same (working around the edges) with the "gingerbread" shade, but I only let that blend in from the edge for maybe a centimeter (I am mixing my metric with my imperial here) So I can still see some of the sea breeze showing . The gingerbread shade adds a sort of rusty aged look. (if rubbed along the edge of torn paper it can give a nice scorched burned look too.). Lastly I used the "Jumbo Java" shade to lightly rub along the very edge, so that it only just shows up. The chalk inks have a really nice gentle soft look about them and blend beautifully. I hardly get a project done without using them at some point.

Next came the rubber stamping along the sides of the box. I used the 7 gypsies stamps from the Lille range and just repeated the pattern slightly, using the three stars, the bird stamp and the word "Beautiful". I added the rusty wire around the outside edges and made a rusty wire nest for the top of the box. Lastly I added a couple of rusty hearts; one inside the nest and one slipped in behind the wire at the front. This completed the first box.

The smaller box was even less complicated... I coloured it completely with the "Sea Breeze" Versamagic chalk ink. then toned the edges the same way i did with the first box, using the "gingerbread shade" and the "jumbo java" shade. I stamped around the edges and on the lid with the same stamp set (7 Gypsies Lille) using a Memento inkpad in "Rich cocoa". As a bolder statement, I stamped on the stars and the word in black stazon. Then using the same paper as on the large box, I cut out some eggs, glued them on and when the glue was dry i put glossy accents on them so they have a raised feel, I also did this to the word "beautiful". When this had dried, i varnished the whole box to stop seal it and protect the chalk ink.

Supplies used from Calico Crafts:

Wooden boxes HERE

7 Gypsies 12x12 scrapbook paper "conservatory range" HERE

7 Gypsies rubber stamps "Lille" HERE

Rusty wire HERE

Rusty hearts HERE

Versamagic chalk inks HERE

Memento ink pad "Rich Cocoa" HERE

Stazon "jet black" HERE

Glossy accents HERE

Craft glue HERE

6 comments:

  1. ooooo Im so drawn to the first box...love the wire wrapped round it - super creations indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. fabulous boxes ! the first one is stunning !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful boxes! Thanks so much for the detailed instructions and informations about the chalk ink. Your ecperiences are extrem value.
    Elly

    ReplyDelete
  4. These bird boxes are so fantastic!!! I really LOVE THEM BOTH! <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  5. you never cease to amaze me with your creations!

    ReplyDelete