Wednesday, 13 July 2011

Oriental lacquered wood effect;designed for Calico crafts.

Helen, From Calico crafts sent me some solid good quality wood shapes to try out last week. I tried some out by making the vintage games (you may have seen them). today I am trying some of the wood rectangles with the "jagged edges" (although they are not jagged they feel smooth).
they came in two sizes. One and a half inch and three inch.

Firstly I took three of the three inch tall ones and inked them, stamped them then added more colour. I chose the bird stamp I like so much for small projects made by Katzelkraft, as I think it has a great oriental feel to it. once it was all dry I put on a thick coat of glossy varnish ( I used Americana spray sealer and finish ... gloss). This gave it a sort of "Chinese lacquered" look when it was all dry i joined them together with teeny wee hinges. I now have a dolls house sized Chinese tri-fold screen. Personally I will be popping it in to an assemblage at some point along with other little curios. you could also decorate a nice wooden box and simply glue the three panels along the lid. (maybe making the theme red black and gold. for a real Chinese lacquered look.)

For the little "one and a half inch" pieces I have made two little pendants or charms using the same method. (the gloss has made it hard to get a photo of them as its all reflecting back but you get the idea.

5 comments:

  1. Fabulous tri fold piece, love the images, these would look great in one of your curio boxes like the one below which is wonderful. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just discovered your site and follow you. I'm in awe of your talent. You have such a great style and I love the humour and playfulness in your work too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is sweet, i especially like the pendants x

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are gorgeous and so detailed. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow I cant keep up with all the work youve been creating recently....wonderfully stunning as always.

    ReplyDelete