Monday, 6 September 2010

Faux Rust trinket box... Mixed Media Monday


Please Click on the image to see better detail.

The theme over at Alter it Monthly is Rust... Now I cant take part as I am the creator of Alter it monthly, and a member of the design team, but I still LOVE the theme.

I dont like using chemicals much (plus I cant get hold of many) and I really wanted to know how to get a nice rust look without using them. Plus I have lots of cardboard and wooden boxes id like to make look like rusted metal things. SO I decided to experiment with paint effects to try and get a bit of a rusty look.
This is a round wooden trinket box...Take off hinges and catches before you start...
Firstly I used a metallic paint on the box and allowed it to dry so that any future patches in the rust effect would show metal underneath...
next I painted on some terracotta acrylic paint mixed with sand.. and dried it using a heat gun full blast. this made the paint bubble up and go all bumpy and lumpy... also in a few places the bubbles burst leaving a hole that the metal paint showed through in.
Next stage was adding alcohol ink... I used Rust (oddly enough lol) and butterscotch. i Just sprinkled it on and spread it around with my fingers. I am sure there are other ways.. While it was still wet i sprinkled on patches of black distress embossing powder, as when i studied a real rusty item it seemed to be speckled with articles of black... then heated it again with a heat gun. I dusted on a little green perfect pearls in places. and that was that...

It looks ok. Ive added rusted paper to the top and around the side and some cogs and embellishments. I used gold, copper and indigo gilt waxes in places too just randomly.

Mixed media Monday has warm it up (warm colours) as the theme... i think rust is a very warm colour so i am adding it.

11 comments:

  1. Love the rusty effect you created on this fabulous little box Louise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my favorite altered piece I've seen this week....thanks for sharing all the details. I think you got a great rusted effect!
    :) Nan

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just absolutely stunning - and looks truly rustic, rusty, vintage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a fun piece & great idea! I'm going to share this technique with some of my mixed media friends.

    I'll have to check out Alter it monthly. Sounds very very cool

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the layers you put on your box -it looks marvelous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh this trinket box is awesome!!! what a wonderful piece!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fantastic box! Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd say your box looks sufficiently rusty...in fact it looks spectacular.
    Another cool way to get a rust effect is with distress embossing powder and ink

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this is gorgeous! Love it!

    ReplyDelete